Japanese cotton cheesecake is also known as souffle cheesecake which is light, fluffy, and full of jiggle. This easy homemade Japanese cheesecake recipe will make you “Wow” when you taste it.
What is Japanese Cotton Cheesecake?
- Japanese cotton cheesecake has a light and fluffy texture, which uses the water bath method to bake cake under a low oven temperature. Besides, it uses less cream cheese and flour in the recipe; and doesn’t have a cookie layer on the bottom. The best combination of soft and sweetness of this Japanese cheesecake tastes incredibly delightful and enjoyable.
What are the ingredients?
- Cream Cheese
- All-purpose Flour
What equipment do you need?
- We need a 6-inches and an 8-inches round pan for the water bath baking method. Water bath a cheesecake by sitting the cake pan in another pan filled with boiling water. It makes the cake extra soft and moist.
How to make the Japanese Cheesecake light and fluffy?
- Beat the egg whites to a stiff peak is essential to make a fluffy Japanese cheesecake. Over beat or under beat the egg whites will both cause a deflate cheesecake after baking. Stiff peak egg whites should hold a nice peak when you lift the whisk.
- Slowly bake the cheesecake with a lower oven temperature in a water bath will also make a light and fluffy textrue.
How to enjoy it?
- The Japanese cotton cheesecake tastes good, either warm or chill. When it is hot, it tastes more like a souffle cake than a cheesecake. However, when it is chilled from the refrigerator, it becomes more creamy and dense.
How to store the Japanese Cheesecake?
- Keep the leftover Japanese cotton cheesecake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days for the best taste.
What to serve
- It would be nice to serve the fluffy cheesecake with the Strawberry Matcha Latte for a Japanese-style afternoon tea.
More Japanese Cheesecake recipes
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 50 minutes
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 3 Egg Whites
- 125g Cream Cheese
- 25g All-purpose Flour
- 30g Butter
- 50g Milk
- 50g White Granulated Sugar
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites into two different bowls.
- Combine cream cheese, milk, and butter in a large mixing bowl. Place the bowl over another bowl with boiling water inside. Keep whisking all the ingredients until melted and smooth. Add egg yolk into it, and whisk well.
- Sift all-purpose flour into the egg yolk mixture, and mix well with a whisk.
- Add sugar to egg whites 3 times, and keep beating it until stiff peak forms.
- Add 1/3 egg whites into the batter, and gently fold it to combine well with a spatula. Then mix it with the rest of the egg whites, and fold them to combine well.
- Preheat oven to 300F
- Cut the parchment paper into a 6-inch round baking pan size for the bottom and two long rectangles for the side. Evenly line the parchment paper in the baking pan.
- Gently pour the batter into the baking pan and even the surface with a spatula.
- Place the baking pan into a larger pan. And fill the larger pan about 1-inch high with boiling water.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then lower the heat to 285F and bake for another 65 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and carefully invert the cake face down on a plate. Then remove the paper and invert it to another plate.
- Slice and enjoy it while still warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 988Total Fat: 82.9gSaturated Fat: 48.8gCholesterol: 835mgSodium: 691mgCarbohydrates: 29.4gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 3.6gProtein: 32.8g