The Japanese souffle pancakes are incredibly soft and fluffy, just like oversized marshmallows. They are easier to make than how they look, and the taste will blow your mind.
What is Japanese Souffle Pancakes?
- Japanese souffle pancakes are the regular pancake made with souffle making technic. The pancakes were raised high and fluffy while cooking under a low flame. The whipped egg white mixed with batter and plus adding the baking powder in this recipe, made the pancakes turning into extra soft and tender. The texture is very different from the American pancakes, but the ingredients are similar.
What are the ingredients?
- Eggs (Separate the egg yolks and egg whites)
- Vanilla Paste or Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
- All-purpose Flour/ Cake Flour (It also works if you are using the pre-mixed pancake flour, and remove the sugar and baking powder from the recipe.)
What are the tricks to make Japanese Souffle Pancakes rise high and extra soft?
- We need to beat the egg white until stiff peak and add half of them into the batter first. Gently mix the batter with a spatula, then pull the batter into the rest of the egg white. And slowly mix well. Please don’t over mix the batter to avoid the pancakes deflate after cooking.
- If you want to create a tall looking souffle pancake, then you can add the thick batter while cooking it. Scoop the batter onto the non-stick frying pan, and cook it under a low flame with the lid covered. When you see the surface becomes firm, then you can add another scoop on it and keep cooking the same way.
- Adding baking powder to this recipe makes the pancakes softer and have a cake-like texture.
What to serve with the Japanese Souffle Pancakes?
- The Japanese souffle pancakes should be served immediately with yogurt and fresh fruits or whipped cream and caramel syrup. Dust some sugar powder before enjoy.
- The souffle pancakes are a great idea for breakfast or afternoon tea that company with homemade milk tea or a cup of coffee.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 Egg Whites
- 40g Milk
- 3g Vanilla Paste
- 40g All-purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 30g Sugar
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites in two different bowls.
- Add milk, vanilla paste into the egg yolks, and whisk well.
- Sift all-purpose flour and baking powder into the egg yolks mixture, and mix well with a whisk. Set it aside.
- Beat the egg whites with sugar until stiff peak. Add the sugar in three batches while beating the egg whites.
- Add half whipped egg whites into the batter, and gently fold with a spatula until well mixed. Then, pull the batter into the rest of the whipped egg whites and slowly mix with a spatula. Don't over mix the batter; otherwise, it becomes watery.
- Spray the oil on a non-stick frying pan, and scoop the batter onto the pan. Cook it with a lid covered under the lowest fire. Cook the pancake for 8 minutes, then flips it over to cook another side with a flat spatula. Cook another side for 5 minutes with the lid covered as well. The pancakes should be easily removed from the pan if they are completely cooked. If the pancake is sticky or soft, let it cook for a few minutes more.
- Serve the pancake with greek yogurt on the top and fresh fruits. Enjoy it immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 5.5gSaturated Fat: 6.3gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 76.2gFiber: 2.4gSugar: 59.9gProtein: 6g