Korean sweet potato bread tastes as same as the real sweet potato with its crispy dough and soft filling. It is very delightful to enjoy as a dessert snack.
Nowadays, people are more likely to be caught by cute and creative food, and Korean sweet potato bread is one of the new things that everyone wants to try. It is originally from the Korean cafe shop where the bakers create the bread shaped like sweet potato. The fluffy and soft bread tastes as same as the real sweet potato. The dough of this bread is thin and crispy, which is quite different from the regular bread. You may surprise what you are eating, bread, or sweet potato. Try this easy Korean sweet potato bread recipe at home, if you don’t want to miss this trendy pastry.
What is Korean sweet potato bread?
- The bread was made from glutinous rice flour and tapioca starch for the dough, and the mashed sweet potato for the filling. The thin crispy dough and the soft fillings are interesting and enjoyable. The crunchy crust tastes more like a cookie than bread, you will be surprised by how amazing it is.
- Combine the ingredients of glutinous rice flour, tapioca starch, bread flour, oil, sugar, milk, and eggs for the bread dough. In this recipe, we will skip the fermentation but bake it from the original dough.
- Secondly, the fillings, you can either bake or steam the sweet potato to get it cooked. In my recipe, I only use the mashed sweet potato for its filling. However, it would be more flavorful if you add butter (10g), honey (1Tbsp), and milk (1tsp) to the mashed sweet potato as well.
- The last is the sweet potato powder, which uses to make the bread look more realistic. It is easy to get from the local grocery store or Amazon online shop.
How to store the bread?
- Leave the bread at room temperature for up to 3 days with a plastic bag covered. However, it becomes soft and soggy after 1 to 2 days, so you’d better enjoy it sooner than later.
- 140g Tapioca Starch
- 20g Glutinous Rice Flour
- 20g Sugar
- 30g Egg
- 1 Tbsp Corn Oil
- 60g Milk
- 15g Bread Flour
- 35g Unsalted Butter
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 3 Tbsp Sweet Potato Powder
- 350g Mashed Sweet Potato
- Get 4 same-size sweet potatoes; peel off the skin and cut in cubes. Steam the sweet potatoes over high heat for 15 minutes. After the steam, smash the sweet potato in a bowl with a fork.
- Divide the mashed sweet potato into 6 balls, about 50g each. Set them aside with plastic wrap covered.
- Combine tapioca flour, glutinous rice flour, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Add egg, vegetable oil, and milk to the same bowl, and mix well. Knead the dough until all the ingredients are combined. Keep kneading the dough while adding the butter.
- Sift bread flour on the dough, and knead the dough until completely combined. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and rest for 30 minutes aside.
- Divide the dough into six pieces, about 50g each. Roll each dough into a ball shape.
Flatten the dough to an oval shape with a roller, and then place the sweet potato filling in the center and fold it up to wrap the filling inside. Then Roll and shape it into a sweet potato looking. Evenly pat the sweet potato powder on each of them.
- Preheat oven to 320F, bake for 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 7.8gSaturated Fat: 3.6gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 42.7gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 7.8gProtein: 2.7g